Today is 2nd round playoffs and we play Hall Ranch Park team. Heard that this is a good team. Morning, went with Sam for her weekly league. Her scores for today: 197, 186, 142. Last game was a total wreck as there were many splits. But no excuse, she didn't quite manage the lane that well. But am glad she had no mental meltdown in spite of the low score in her 3rd.
After lunch, the stomach felt a little uneasy and I purged a couple of times. And it's a bad idea to have Thai food prior to a big match coz the food is spicy. Nevertheless, after lunch, took Sam for her clothes shopping. She bought 5 tops, 1 skirt and 2 pairs of shorts and Ed bought 1 pair of shorts. Nothing for me.... Amazing huh? Anyway, I was very weak while shopping at Target and was very tempted to call Al to find a sub for my match this evening. Came home at 2.05pm and ate some medication. Stomach felt better as no more purging so, I changed and left the house at 2.25pm for my warm-up at CSF.
Upon reaching the outdoor practice court, Shawn, Victor, Michelle and Judy was already warming up amongst themselves. I joined them but didn't really get a good hit. Left in a car pool with Al and Michelle to Hall Ranch at 3.30pm. We arrived in good time at 3.50pm. They didn't have any practice courts as this is a public facility. But managed to jump onto one when it was available. Didn't warm up very well coz it was so darn windy. I know I can't hit too hard coz the balls will be carried by the wind. Al advised against lobbing if possible. I could only use my 2nd serve coz if one hits too hard on the 1st, the ball tends to be out.
Finally, we were assigned a court. Court condition is not too good as there were lots of cracks. What perturbed me most was the wind coz I couldn't really warm up in such a condition as my hand were frozen stiff. On top of that, I was also careless not to bring sweatpants or sweater as I was wearing a sleeveless dress and it was really cold as the wind was blowing something like 50mph. We (Rudy & me) played 1st line up against Alison/Antonio. Alison is a darn good player, a 4.0 player pretending to be a 3.5. Sam reminded me that I am also a 3.5 player pretending to be a 3.0, ahem! Well, what goes around comes around. How true!
Anyway, Alison massacred me but Rudy was my saviour for the day as he returned many shots. For me, I probably only contributed 10% as I couldn't return Alison's serves as hers was a kick serve that kicks very high and it makes it almost impossible for me to return many. I think I probably returned 1% of her serves in total. That was how horribly I played. As for Antonio, he's not as good as Alison but he trampled me in the process too.
All I can say is that I was so cold that I couldn't feel the ball on the strings on my racquet. My hands were literally frozen. At intervals, I kept holding Rudy's hands and telling him to keep me warm. I told Rudy that I hoped no one is thinking that I am his lover coz I kept holding his warm hands, hahaha. But Rudy was really nice. He tolerated all my misses and the lobs that I missed which I wasn't supposed to take but was too stubborn to listen. I was so angry at myself so many times coz Rudy's play got interrupted with my stupidity of trying to go for the lob shots.
Winning the 1st set is nothing short of a miracle. We were down 3-5 with Rudy serving at 0-40. I was thinking to myself that we're doomed coz the opponents need just 1 more break or hold to win. But I kept telling myself too that I will play point by point. Dare not think too far ahead. It's not like I am getting any winners anyway. So, Rudy and me hung in there and somehow, we managed to hold that set. Alison served next. She usually holds coz she has such a good kick serve but somehow, through some supernatural intervention, we managed to break her. Then, of the biggest miracle, I held my own serve for the 1st time. What perfect timing on God's part. And we broke Antonio to win the 1st 7-5.
All through the match, I kept praying to God to help me through it all. B4 the match, I told the Lord to stop the wind coz I know playing in windy conditions is one of the toughest thing to do in tennis and it's not fun when I can't feel anything. But HE did not. I told HIM to carry me through and HE did on the 1st set which was really a miracle. Everything just fell into place at the right time. Isn't God's timing perfect?
On the 2nd set, we were down 0-4. Not a very good start I agree. But, we managed to crawl our way back to 4-4 before losing it 4-6. Again, Alison and Antonio played a solid 2nd set and there wasn't much we can do to break their momentum coz this is their home ground. Again, Rudy didn't disappoint me and nothing much I can say about my game coz I kept losing all the points, I am too ashamed right now to even talk about it.
We agreed on a super tiebreak which is a 10 point. We were down 0-3 but somehow, again, by God's grace we picked up our game at the right moment and I was more able to return the opponents' shots and didn't make many unforced errors. All I can remember is that I hit the winning volley to run home with a 10-6 win. How I did that is still a blur to me. Again, I dedicate all these to God wanting to teach me a lesson in that nothing comes easy and I have to work really hard in that windy condition whether I like it or not. I think I have been kinda spoilt playing indoors so much so I don't know how to play outdoors anymore. And judging from my previous experience at Mission Hills where I played in even windier conditions, I would've thought I learnt a lesson from there. But nope, doesn't look like I've learnt anything as everything I touched today, was out or netted. But one thing's for sure, God's grace and mercies was with me as HE answered my prayer. I definitely know the 1st and 3rd set was a miracle in itself and I believed HE wants me to continue to train in this tough condition so that I will become a better player. I have no excuse for today's bad performance and again, I give credit 100% to Rudy for holding me up. He's the best partner one can ever ask and God's miracle will forever be etched in my heart and I praise and honor HIM for just being there for me when I needed HIM most. Thank you Lord. Thank you....
Overall, our team won 3-0 against the tough team of Hall Ranch. Our 3rd line up won 6-2, 7-5 (Michelle/Shawn). Our 2nd line up won 6-4, 4-6, 6-4 (Victor/Judy). We went to Chevy's to celebrate our victory as we now move on to District Championship which will be held at Diamond Hills Sports Club @ Oakley this May 1-3. This will be another toughie I know and I have to be prepared in whatever condition that's thrown my way. I am praying I will have nine lives to survive this coz it's a 3-day play on Fri thru Sun.
Wish me luck and keep me in your prayer for those 3 days. I guess it'll be another week of tennis overdose. I am beginning to not have fun anymore coz there's just so much pressure to win round after round. But I know I have to hang in there for the sake of the team. Looks like it'll be another straight week of 6x tennis this coming week. But, gotta count my blessings coz the I am still healthy and chugging along. Hoping that this old body won't give up on me anytime soon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment