Tuesday, April 14, 2009

12 April 2009

Today, we were out of the house by 9am coz we wanted to be in queue as early as possible for the Academy of Sciences as we've learnt our lesson from Saturday. We arrived at the Academy by 10.15am and even though we were early, we were already like the 35th person in line. By the time the Academy opens at 11am, there were at least 500 people in line. We went in there and got our show passes for the Bugs 3D and Planetarium. Had a field day visiting the Aquarium, watched the Fragile Planet @ The Planetarium and scour the entire Natural History Museum where they had exhibits about Madasgascar, Africa but we missed out on the rain forest. Figured we've seen enough of it living in Malaysia.

Lunch was pathetic and costly. What do you expect? That's where the Academy earns most of their bucks from. So, to make up for it, we left at 5pm when the Academy closes its doors. Ed did a search on Yelp for italian food and came up with this great restaurant called Poesia on 18th Street. Parking was a pain in the you know where but managed to find one spot, lucky us and thank you Lord. Was seated at the window by the owner who I must say had dashingly good Italian looks, ahem (dark and quite handsome but alas, not tall, hahaha, he's not so perfect after all). They had a starter consisting of grilled squid on top of a bed of spinach and it was so good, I finished every morsel of food there was on my plate. Considering how much I hate vegies, I finished all the spinach, would you believe it? That's how good the dish was. Sam's tomato soup was the best she has ever eaten. So fresh and not diluted. She almost licked the plate clean. Ed's raw beef carpaccio was also good but I prefer my spinach over his Romaine lettuce. Then, I had rack of lamb as main course and Ed ordered figeli pasta with pork. Oh.... the pasta was ooh la la. It was so tasteful I can't describe it. This pasta is handmade at the restaurant and is passed down from his grandmother's recipe. No wonder, it's that good. Then, came desert. We ordered hazelnut gelato with melted choc and tiramisu. Both were out of this world. Our damage - $122.64. Worthwhile and yummy. Definitely coming back when I have the opportunity. Best Italian food I've tasted thus far.

No comments: