Thursday, September 17, 2009

13 Sept - 16 Sept 2009

13 Sept - I won my 1st doubles 6.5 combo tennis match today against Ruby Hill. I partnered Xiao Lu and won 6-1, 6-0. We played #3 doubles and although didn't serve too well, hit a couple of volleys into the net, smash a couple into the net too, had 1 double fault, it turned out well in the end. Not too bad a start for my debut in the 6.5 team. Next match, 9/27 will be against Pleasanton Park which will be a tougher game. Our team is still #1 in the ranking, yipee!

After the match, didn't even stay back for lunch but rushed home to watch the Novak/Roger's semi final match. Was quite a dampener coz Novak couldn't play his "A" game but I think he had fun trying to beat the world's #1 player and again, Roger won.

Today and tomorrow, I will be talking nothing but tennis due to the US Open tournament. Did you all see Serena's outburst against the lines woman who called a foot fault on her in her semi-final match against Kim Clijsters? Oh...that was bad and I am quite ashamed to say that I was actually rooting for her. She was clearly out of line with her expletives, rude and unsportsmanlike. She deserves to lose the point and match. And to add to my anger, at the post interview, Serena wasn't a wee bit remorseful about her attitude on court. Was arrogant and from then on, I decided that from now on, no more rooting for Serena Williams no matter how great a player she is and will be. I totally am on the side with the commentators who said that the USTA only fined her US$10,500 for her expletives and racquet smashing and that penalty is way way too mild. The USTA should have suspended her doubles finals too although it wasn't fair to V. Come on...for a person who earns $23 million alone (and that is not taking into consideration the numerous endorsements she has in the market place), $10,500 is peanuts. Anyway, Serena and V won their doubles match and then went on publicly to apologize to the lines woman, Kim and her fans. To me that's too late coz I think that was the condition meted out by the USTA in allowing them to play their doubles final match. It was not a sincere apology and was all a "sandiwara." Clearly, I was disappointed in Serena's attitude but, am very happy for Kim to win the US Open 2009 coz she was deserving as she played well against Caroline Wozniacki and it also gives married women like me a slight ray of hope that we can still beat those young unmarried ladies out there. Go Kim....hope there will be many more for you to come.

14 Sept - Housekeeping day but was very hardworking and started early at 7.30am coz I want to finish early enough to watch the men's singles final match at 1.30pm. The finals was good with Roger leading 2 sets to 1 but in the 4th set and 5th, clearly Roger wasn't in his usual top form coz he had 11 double faults which is uncanny of him as usually his aces outweighs his dbl faults. And DelPo played great tennis with his unfailing hard serves which Roger couldn't take. And DelPo played smart and has improved significantly in his movement around the court. And eventually, DelPo got the better of Roger and romped home with a win at the US Open. I was so glad DelPo won coz finally, can see a new face in tennis rather than good 'ol Roger's face all the time.

15 Sept - Went out to play tennis with Taemi/Li Lin and Cindy. Partnered Cindy and won 7-5 and then partnered Taemi and won 6-3. It was a fun match with both partners and I had fun. Was about to leave but CH Shek (my 3.0 captain) caught me and asked me to replace him coz he had to run in the midst of their practice. So, I joined Phyllis against Xiao Lu/May and we lost 5-7. Why? Because yours truly was tired, impatient and Xiao Lu and May kept lobbing and I wanted to end the point quickly thus, resulting in killing my own self and lost the match eventually, grr! Lesson to be learnt : BE PATIENT.... Hmmm.. that's never been my forte but gotta learn I know.

16 Sept - Was supposed to play with Richard but he couldn't make it as he's got to take Andy to the hospital for his follow up check at Stanford Hospital. I took the opportunity to finish my paperwork and attend to stuff that I kept procrastinating about. Very productive day I must say.

No comments: